iPhone Visio Wireframe Mockup Tool
I have been involved as a User Experience professional for most of my career. Most projects call for a similar pattern of ideation that goes something like this:
- Figure out what the app is going to be (Ideation)
- Figure out what the Interaction Model should be (IA Diagram)
- Begin fast wireframe mockups (Low-fi - Visio)
- Begin glossy mockups (Photoshop/Illustrator/Fireworks)
So when I begin a project, and after I have nailed the application definition, I will quickly move to a low-fidelity wireframe mode. Microsoft Visio ™ is the supreme tool for this. (full disclosure: I worked for Visio before Microsoft acquired us, back in the glory days!). Cranking out lots of iteration in wireframe saves a ton of time over doing it in a high-fidelity tool.
Therefore, on this page is a wireframe tool that I built to give to the world to help others quickly mockup wireframes for their iPhone apps. I am currently working on a social networking app that will have an iPhone interface and while I build the tools for that app, I wanted to give back to the world*. I will be updating it over time, so if you are interested, please drop me a line from the link on the right.
Enjoy – and do great things.
* Huge kudos to the team over at teehan+lax who gave the world their iPhone Photoshop GUI kit. This was what prompted me to put a Visio kit out there too. Viva la shapeware.
Updated: 4/24/09 (15+ new shapes)